Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Walking in Your Faith at Work

Walking in Your Faith at work

Taboo subjects in the office include politics, sex, money and of course religion or faith. How have we come to this? Over the years faith has become such a touchy subject that we refuse to even acknowledge it in the workplace. 

One of the toughest things I have to do every day is to live my life as a man of faith and walk my “talk” and show my beliefs in my actions daily. You see, I AM a man of faith, I DO believe in Christ and God. Part of this belief is a profession of this faith in all I do.  The disciples that speaking of thier faith out loud and publicly was very unpopular and even got all but one killed for the profession.  WHOA!  Killed? I’m not quite ready for that.  I mean I’ll believe but I really want to keep living my life.  

As a believer I understand that my Lord gave his life for me, so that I may live with Him forever. Does this mean I have to die too?   NO  but what it does mean is that I have to live my life in such a way that I represent my faith in a light that will make other want to know more about my God. That is what got the early church started. The disciples lived their lives in such a way that others wanted to know what was going on and how could they get the peace and strength they had for themselves.

As a professional speaker and executive coach I interact with many people each week. IN fact I sometimes get to talk to hundreds of people at a time. What a platform to change others and share a message of God’s might and love.  Now if you have seen me speak you know I am a business and inspirational type speaker.  I look for the good in life and help inspire others to do what it takes to live a great life.  www.coachrickkolster.com   It is a rare occasion that I quote scripture or even reference God in my speeches. However I do ask God to make my words strong and my message heard. By that I know my words are touching lives for Him.  But one of the most joyful moments I have had in my speaking career has been the couple of times that after stepping off the stage from giving a speech I was approached by someone who said, “Loved you talk, I can tell you are a man of faith”.  Walk the walk and Talk the talk.

Through just the way I carried myself on stage, they could tell who I was to my core.  That I had faith and belief in a higher power than myself and would go on bent knee before the king. Just by the way I acted.   Is this something others can say about you?  In the workplace what can you do to show that you are a Christian? That you love God and know that He loves you. What actions can you take that will show that?

So why is it such a taboo?  Why do we shy away from talking about our faith?  Because we have been beat down by the world as a whole.  We are afraid of “hurting” someone’s feelings of making them uncomfortable.  It is the wussification of our world. The political correctness has gotten out of hand. If I believe something different than you, I must be wrong and if it involves one of the four taboo subjects,  I must be a radical!  SERIOUSLY???  Have we become so bland and milquetoast that we are afraid to take a stand?   Can’t talk about Gods, might hurt little Timmy’s feeling or confuse him into needing some kind of meds.  We have taken a Christian God out of our schools and government and anything but our church and even then we have watered Him down. 

God is God. He loves us more than we love us.   He care so much about us that He gave His son for us.  Why is this scary to so many?

 Because we are wimps!  I say take a stand.  I could care less what you stand for, but please stand for something. The disciples stood for what they believed knowing full well it was probably a death sentence and still they stood their ground for what they believed to be right.  This is where we  need to get to. A place where we stand for what is right and good.

The one thing I know without a doubt is this… God is Good! Share that message wherever you go. I dare ya!

Coach Rick Kolster is an executive coach and thought leader who works with business owners and executives to help them maximize their efforts, gain life balance and learn how they can be the best leader they can be.

No comments:

Post a Comment