Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 7, 2012

The BALD TRUTH-Ignorance

Ignorance

The most painful experience I have ever had was caused by ignorance. Before you all jump on the “band wagon” and start saying how mean I am to say someone is ignorant, let’s just take a second to define “Ignorance”.
According to the always correct internet site Wikipedia…

Ok back to my story…

I have always had an approach in my life that I can and will take care of myself. I accept responsibility for my own well-being. In fact back in the 80’s while working in my first career in the restaurant business I experienced some major losses and financial struggles. So bad that I had my car repossessed, lost my apartment and my job and was crashing on a friend’s floor.
It was my ignorance that had gotten me there. I was uninformed or didn’t know the real consequences of not keeping up with my bills. I got to partying all the time, and neglected my responsibilities. This created a problem for me. Or problems… I was homeless, horseless and hopeless.

Ignorance isn’t just not having the facts; it is also taking actions on the wrong facts. Making decisions based on your own lack of information and being wrong. Because of this many make value judgments based on a lack of knowledge and assumptions, this can lead to anger, disappointment and even to hate.

Now hate is a strong word too. Hate can consume you and control you to the point of stealing all your time and energy away from you. It can and will suck the life out of you and with energy focused on the wrong things ultimately make you totally unproductive. This is what happened to me. I fell into a cycle of unproductivity and self-doubt that only a swift kick in the seat or smack upside the head was going to cure. Well that combo kick/smack came in the form of a man I will be forever grateful.

He probably doesn’t know this, nor have I ever told him but Dave Gilbert gave me hope in 1984. That’s right, hope. He believed in me and showed me. He saw something in me that had been push down so deep that I was spiraling out of control. He gave me a chance, hope for the future. He asked me to come work for him in the biggest, baddest nightclub in Houston, TX. He got me working, riding and living again. within a month I was back on track and even bought something to always remind myself that I can and will survive. See I had fallen into an unhealthy place physically and emotionally but he pulled me back up. For that I am grateful and forever in his debt.

Lastly, When you act and react without full info (ignorance) be prepared for the consequences. However, have hope that around the corner is that one person who has his or her hand out to help you out that will get you out of the hole you are in. Hope is the answer to ignorance. Folks have hope and give hope. Be a hope maker!

Until next time. That is the BALD TRUTH! Now Roll Up Your Sleeves and Get To Work

1 comment:

  1. One of the better, more revealing and personal messages, Rick. Great job. You are one of the best for learning from your experiences rather than repeating them. I am proud to call you a friend.

    ReplyDelete